This monument, at the end of the “Parco delle Cascine”, was built in 1870 by the British sculptor Carlo Francesco Fuller.
It is the shape of a canopy in turn supported by four columns, under which there is the sculpted bust of the Indian prince deceased Rajaram Chuttraputti Kolhapur.
This young prince was returning from a trip to London – where he went to study and to greet the Queen of England – and he dead while he was in Florence at the age of 21.
His body was burned in the Hindu ritual at the confluence of two rivers (in this case Arno and Mugnone), where his ashes were scattered.
The event aroused at the time the curiosity of many Florentines who were numerous to attend the ceremony, and since then the place was called “the Indian”.